Do you know what you should pay attention to when implementing energy efficiency projects? Energy efficiency is a great selling point and savings promises attract investment in a variety of equipments and services – since they pay for themselves quickly. While saving money, the environment is also saved as greenhouse gas emissions are reduced. And there is nothing wrong with that, it is exactly what we should be doing to reduce climate change.
How to buy energy efficiency services reliably?
However, the energy efficiency and savings are both such a vibrant businesses that it can accommodate a wide variety of folks. At worst, marketing can be aggressive – at the end of the day, who wouldn’t want to do trade and therefore make profit?
Many of the service providers has to offer attractive financing models based on the savings generated without large initial investments. Many actors have a sensible and honest approach, but unfortunately not all.
A reliable operator takes responsibility even after the taillights of the van have ceased to be visible and the installation work is done. For example, in solar PV systems, purchase agreements are also available, so that the prices are set in advance for the solar PV system. With such solution, the manufacturer takes the responsibility for non-functioning equipment during the contract period.
5-step criteria for a reliable partner in energy efficiency services (and how to know when you see one):
- The savings calculations are presented openly, and it is clear where the savings are coming from
- The actual energy price has been used in the savings calculations. The fixed charge is not included in the price of energy unless the investment has a real impact on the fixed charge
- No savings are made at the expense of comfort, circumstances, or safety
- The sales personnel can answer your questions
- References and user experiences can also be found from other sources
In my opinion energy-saving purchases should ever be made in a hurry. A better way is to obtain additional information and investigate user experiences.
If necessary, contact an impartial expert who can open the savings calculation and assess whether the promises are realistic.